5th MOVES meeting on Modelling languages and restructuring

How to get there

University of Antwerp
campus Middelheim - room G004
Middelheimlaan 1
2020 Antwerpen
( http://win.ua.ac.be/content/getting-here )


For those of you coming by bus, we created a detailed guided tour (including pictures) about how to get from Berchem station to our campus. [detailed-bus route]

In textual form it goes like this. Take Bus 32 (Rooseveltplaats-Edegem) and get of at “Koninklijke laan”. (See also http://www.delijn.be/). You should count on 25 minutes from the City Center to campus Middelheim. Depending on the hour you start the bus comes every 10 minutes.


You should take the bus into the direction of “Edegem” and you will have to get of at “Koninklijke laan” (although you are in the floralienlaan then). To get a feeling where this is: (a) once you passed through Antwerpen-Berchem [which is the 2nd railway station in Antwerp) (b) after driving through a street full of shops, (a) the bus takes a left turn to come upon a bigger road with a tramway, © crosses a big road intersection with lots of traffic lights, (d) drives over a bridge crossing the highway, (d) then takes two right turns before (e) passing a cemetery on the left hand side. If you see the cemetery, ring the bell to ask the bus driver to stop, because right after the next left turn you will have to get off. You see the university buildings right behind the bus stop.


AGENDA The goal(s) of the meeting are two-fold

  1. foster collaboration among the different partners in the network
  2. increase the visibility of our activities

Schedule 12:00 - 12:15: Welcome
12:15 - 13:00: Sandwich lunch in the nearby student restaurant
13:00 - 13:30: Status report on collaborations identified in the past

  • Serge Demeyer [Draft chapter in yearly report to Belspo]

13:30 - 15:00: Welcome of new Ph.D. students - 10 minute presentations + 10 minutes discussion

  1. Xiaobo Li [University of Antwerp] - MDE-based Generative Modeling and Simulation Methodology
  2. Nicolas Genon [University of Namur] - Improving the Cognitive Effectiveness of Business Process Modelling Languages
  3. Arnaud Hubaux [University of Namur] - Foundations for Advanced Feature-based Configuration Support
  4. Michael Hoste [University of Mons] - Visual Scripting Language

15:00 - 15:30: Action plan for the newsletter

  • Serge Demeyer

15:30 - closing of the meeting


Bart Meyers, Sylvain Degrandsart, Quinten Soetens, Ahmed Lamkanfi, Serge Demeyer, Xiaobo Li, Hans Vangheluwe
Nicolas Genon, Arnaud Hubaux
c) K.U.Leuven
Stefan Van Baelen, Aram Hovsepyan
d) Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Dirk Deridder
Pieter Van Gorp [TU/e-School of Industrial Engineering]
Michael Hoste [University of Mons]


All participants are present except Stefan Van Baelen who is excused. The KUL is now represented by Aram Hovsepyan
Serge Demeyer’s slides can be found here: slides


Dirk Deridder mentions the awards that were presented at the MoVES meeting as extra motivation for young researchers within MoVES. At the yearly MoVES event there is a price for best PhD student. This is an award for a young researcher (500euro) for excellent work done in the context of MoVES. This year that price went to Andreas Classen. An additional award was that for the best poster. This went to Stefan Mahr of the VUB.

There was a discussion on when and where to add the MoVES acknowledgments in papers. In short please add it if one of the authors is part of MoVES! For instance if one author is of VUB (part of MoVES) and one author of UMons (not part of MoVES) then you can add the MoVES acknowledgment and it will be counted as a Publication by members of the VUB IAP team. If a third author was of UCL (also part of MoVES) then the publication would be counted as a joint publication by multiple IAP teams.

So please, when you write a paper add the MoVES acknowledgment “This work has been carried out in the context of the Interuniversity Attraction Poles Programme - Belgian State – Belgian Science Policy, project MoVES.”

Status Report

  • Bert VanHooff: Transformation Chaining and Traceability (KUL)
    • STATUS: Closed
  • Evolution of Modeling Languages (FUNDP + VUB)
    • STATUS: Still on Hold
  • Co-evolution of production code and test code (UA + TUDelft)
    • STATUS: Resubmitted journal paper
  • Fabian Gilson (FUNDP) contact with INRIA
    • STATUS: no response yet
  • Sylvain de Grandsart (UA) had contact with Thierry Massar
    • STATUS: no results yet
    • New collaboration possibilities with UCL
  • Aram Hovsepyan (KUL) and Andres Yie (VUB) would be collaborating.
    • STATUS: on hold; both are finishing their PhD.


  • A few possible collaborations were identified. Please sit together to discuss this further.
  • There should be more meetings to foster new collaborations in terms of joint papers + tool integrations.
  • Workshops should be organized.
  • First edition of the newsletter needs to be produces to increase the visibility of MoVES. The increased visibility should start within the research groups of the participating members.
    • Hans Vangheluwe suggest a possible danger with the newsletter: Presenting the entire idea behind certain research might be not that easy to do in half an A4 page.
    • Therefore these half page A4 articles should be more like teasers (abstracts) with a reference to more information on the MoVES website.

Action Points

  • Organize next meeting before the summer recess (in june)
  • Nicolas Genon suggested to organize a tutorial about the principles of what makes a good visual language. (in june)
  • We could organize one day mini workshops on Workflow languages / DSL’s / etc … (Thematic across the different work-packages)
    • Pieter Van Gorp suggested that this could be submitted as a satellite event with invited speakers at a Dutch National Conference later this year.
  • First edition of the newsletter to appear in June 2010
    • Please submit half page (A4) articles on success stories and/or research done within WP2 of MoVES i.e., Good examples of work done in MoVES
    • Contact Serge Demeyer and Anne Keller Deadline = 2 and a half weeks in advance
  • Dirk Deridder makes a call for contributions: workshop in MODELS: theme is models and evolution originated from WP4 : Please submit! Submission deadline =


Xiaobo Li

This is a joint PhD candidate between the UA (Belgium) and the NUDT (China)

MDE-based Generative Modelling and Simulation Methodology (slides)

The idea is to apply generative techniques of MDE to the domain of simulation. MDE techniques can be used to synthesize simulation code.

Potential Collaborations:

  • Maybe talk to Chales Pecheur (Suggested by Serge Demeyer)

Nicolas Genon

University of Namur

Improving the Cognitive Effectiveness of Business Process Modelling Languages (slides)

Research in cognitive effectiveness of visual notations. Improve symbols in visual languages to improve comprehensibility of the language. 9 Principles to evaluate and/or improve a visual notation. Goal of this Phd is to improve the visual notation of some business process languages and to contribute to make the 9 principles more detailed.

Potential Collaborations:

  • Help with definition of partner visual notations.
  • Get in touch with Pieter Van Gorp’s Master Student Erwin Van Den Broeck (TU/e) (process modeling languages)
  • Serge Demeyer has a student (Frederik De Bleser) from the arts department working on languages for artistic engineers (show his prototype is good?)

Arnaud Hubaux

University of Namur

Foundations for Advanced Feature-based Configuration Support (slides)

Extract basic model behind configurations. Build model of configuration interface into Feature Diagrams. (i.e., Use feature diagrams for configuration purposes)

Potential Collaborations:

  • Pieter Van Gorp suggest to contact Arthur ter Hofstede, who is now a part time full professor at TU/e. Also they have a soon to be postdoc (Ronny Mans) who is interested in YAWL.

Michael Hoste

University of Mons

Visual Scripting Language (slides)

Models are too big and difficult to maintain for an entire software system. Define the behavior of part of an application using only models. Changing this part will change software execution.

Potential Collaborations:

  • Hans Vangheluwe (and his team) has done some experiments to translate statecharts into action languages. This is related and not trivial. If Michael is planning to create a neutral action language they are very interested in this.
  • Hans Vangheluwe also suggested Atom3 and its web based interface (to be released soon?) as a visual editor.
  • Pieter Van Gorp suggest a link with Albert Zündorf’s team who translated story diagrams in Fujaba SDM to Java and then used Google web compiler to translate Java to Javascript. (See the paper by Nina Geiger, Christoph Eickhoff, Marcel Hahn, Ingo Witzky and Albert Zündorf “Future Web Application Development with Fujaba” (the paper can be found here))
  • Nicolas Genon for helping define the visual notation of new domain specific languages
  • Sylvain Degrandsart Develop common case for the scripting thing.
meetings/meeting5.txt · Last modified: 2010/05/06 11:34 by nge